Buying A House?
We’ve had a HomeBuyers report and there are structural problems with the house I want to buy – what do I do?
You want to get it right, as you are probably about to make the most expensive purchase of your entire life.
Here is some more information on the 3 very important RICS (Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors) reports you will need to choose from:
When you are buying a conventional house, flat or bungalow built from common building materials in a reasonable condition this report will provide information on:
- condition of the different parts of the building, services, garage and outbuildings, highlighting problems that will require attention
- risks to the condition of the building
- guarantees, planning and building control issues for your legal advisors
- This report does not include a valuation.
When you are buying a conventional house, flat or bungalow built from common building materials in a reasonable condition this report will provide the more extensive information including:
- Condition Report plus information gathered during a more extensive inspection
- Surveyor’s professional opinion on the ‘market value’ of the property
- Insurance reinstatement figure
- A list of problems that may potentially affect the value of the property
- Advice on repairs and ongoing maintenance
- A list of potentially serious or dangerous conditions that require further investigation
- A list of possible legal issues
- Information on location, local environment and the recorded energy efficiency (if available).
Building survey (formerly called a structural survey)
When the property that you are buying is large / old / run-down / unusual / altered / if you are planning major works, this survey provides information on its structure and fabric and includes:
- Thorough inspection and detailed report on a wider range of issues
- List of visible defects and potential problems caused by hidden flaws
- Outline of repair options and the likely consequences of inactivity
- Advice for your legal advisers and details of serious risks and dangerous conditions
This report does not include a valuation.
How Can We Help You?
We are often called in to help our customers when a HomeBuyers Report identifies specific structural defects. We will visit your new home and report back to you to give you peace of mind (hopefully) that the purchase you are about to make is structurally sound.
Please note we do not undertake HomeBuyers Reports, we only report on structural issues. Please refer to the RICS to find a suitably qualified surveyor.
Please give us a call now 0118 962 9666 to see how we can help you